|about | images | featured projects | sanssoucie.com|
SANS SOUCIE ART GLASS CREATES NEW ENTRY GLASS PANEL FOR WHIG HALL AT PRINCETON UNIVERSITY
Sans Soucie Art Glass Studios, Inc. was commissioned to create an Art Glass Panel for installation inside the entry of recently renovated Whig Hall at Princeton University.
Whig Hall is the home of the nation’s oldest collegiate political and debating society -- the American Whig-Cliosophic Society – and recently underwent a major overhaul to modernize the building, which had not been renovated in nearly 40 years. A classical Greek ionic structure built in 1893, Whig Hall along with Clio Hall, were designed by A. Page Brown as a pair of identical debate clubs. The Office of Design and Construction at Princeton University hired architecture firm Farewell Mills Gatsch of Princeton to oversee the renovation project.
The glass panel is approx. 96" x 96", 3/4" thick Starphire® Clear Laminated Glass weighing approx. 600 lbs. The back surface is 3-dimensionally sculpture carved with two 52” diameter "Whig & Clio" seals that are off-set in opposing corners, and run off the edges of the glass. The overall surface is solid sandblast frosted, leaving, in clear glass, a large leaf branch image set diagonally across the entire surface. The leaf branch is a design element from the Whig seal, held in the eagle’s claw. The upper right hand corner of the front surface features sculpture carved and painted text that reads:
"Welcome to Whig Hall and the American-Whig Cliosophic Society
The Nation's Oldest Collegiate Political, Literary and Debating Society."
A ceremony marking the renovations was held November 14th, 2009.